Help When Help is Most Needed
The Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Supplemental Nutrition Program is a federally-funded health and nutrition program© for:
- Infants and Children age 1 to 5 years (including foster children)
- Pregnant Women
- Breastfeeding Mothers (up to 1 year)
- Postpartum Women (up to 6 months)
How Do I Qualify For WIC Benefits?
Generally, WIC is available to:
- low income pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women
- low income parent or guardian who is the sole provider of children under age five who are at nutritional risk and who are at or below 185 percent of the federal poverty level
You can take the WIC Eligibility Assessment to see if you qualify* or contact your local WIC office to make an appointment and find out which documents you will need to bring with you. (To find your local WIC agency use the clinic listing) At your appointment, WIC staff will check to see if you and your family qualify).
*This online tool is only a preliminary assessment – only Local WIC Agency staff can determine if you qualify for WIC services.
What WIC Provides
- Special checks to buy healthy foods from WIC-authorized vendors – milk, eggs, bread, cereal, juice, peanut butter, and much more (see Authorized Foods)
- Information about nutrition and health to help you and your family eat well and be healthy
- Support and information about breastfeeding your baby
- Help in finding health care and other community services
How to Locate Services within the North Georgia Health District
WIC has offices in all our North Georgia public health departments in Cherokee, Fannin, Gilmer, Murray, Pickens and Whitfield Counties - click on the name of the county nearest you for your North Georgia WIC contact information or dial 1-866-942-9675.
If you like this article please subscribe for free to Macaroni Kid Blue Ridge so you don't miss out on family friendly events, activities and giveaways that highlight North Central Georgia (Jasper, Ellijay, Blue Ridge, Dawsonville, Dahlonega, Cleveland, Helen, Blairsville and around)!!!